Shelbyville's Public Library is of classic French Renaissance design, built
with funding provided by Andrew Carnegie, and dedicated in 1905. It is handicapped
accessible with many services available for visitors and patrons.
In keeping with the Library's plan to always enhance the building's historical and
structural integrity, a face-lift was completed in 1995. Fluorescent fixtures were
replaced with period and recessed lighting with table lamps placed on
tables that originally held them. An unsightly aging air conditioning system
was replaced and concealed.
With a grant from the State Library in 2000, the Library added an additional four
rooms. These rooms and the interior of the rest of the building were carpeted, painted,
and woodworked so as to coordinate and incorporate the new and the old.
Visitors are encouraged to come and enjoy a quiet interlude while viewing fluted
pilasters, oak arches, fireplaces and many original furnishings.